Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Smith resigns as South Africa's T20 captain

Graeme Smith stepped down as the South African cricket team captain for T20 International matches and said he would step down as the ODI captain after the 2011 World Cup. Smith, however, remains available for selection in all formats of the game.

He announced his decision at a press conference in Johannesburg.

"The off season has provided a great opportunity for me to reflect on our teams' successful journey and set some challenging personal goals for the future," said Smith.

"After a lot of thought and consideration I have decided to step down from the captaincy of the ODI squad at the conclusion of the 2011 ICC World Cup campaign. I will also stand down as captain of the Pro20 International squad with immediate effect."

Smith further elaborated on the reasons for his decision, saying lessening his responsibilities was the only way he could prolong his career in the game.

"There are several reasons why I have made this important career decision," Smith said. "I am going into my ninth season of international cricket - eight of which have been as captain. It is my intention to play for another five or six years and I know in my heart that I can only do that if I give up some of my current responsibilities.

"It has always been my philosophy not only to make the Proteas the best team we can possibly be but also to enable the players to grow both as cricketers and as people. I believe we have now reached the stage where there are several players emerging within the squad to take on leadership roles.

"My decision automatically poses the questions of why I am announcing it now and why I am not waiting until after the World Cup. It is absolutely vital that we maintain continuity in a World Cup season and this major competition also concludes the current cycle of limited overs cricket. I also feel that making the announcement now will provide the time and development necessary to ensure a smooth transition.

"I remain passionate about the captaincy of the Proteas and after the World Cup I will continue to lead the Test team with pride and will continue to be available for selection in all formats of the game."

Smith's decision was supported by Cricket South Africa chief Gerald Majola, who said, "I have seen Graeme develop as a cricketer over the past decade or so, and I am proud of how far he has come. He took over the Proteas' captaincy at a young age, and has faced incredible challenges, which he has overcome.

"His decision to step down from International Pro20 captaincy with immediate effect, and the ODI captaincy at the end of the 2011 Cricket World Cup, opens the door for other young stars to make a name for themselves as leaders."

Smith has captained the South African side since 2003, and has seen them ranked No.1 in both Tests and ODIs in this period, but fallen short of glory in World Cup tournaments - both T20 and ODI.

In the past, he has been concerned about the lack of a succession plan and has spoken on a number of occasions about his desire to finish his international career by playing as "one of the boys" under a different skipper.

No comments:

Post a Comment